Each year on April 22nd the world gets together to celebrate Earth Day. While the fervor and genuine desire to make a difference is laudable, much of the day's events have unfortunately become over commercialized and detract from the original goals set by U.S. Senator John McConnell. So, to celebrate Earth Day, we have included several organizations in the that are hosting events to better the environment on April 22nd, and year-round.
1. New York, New York
- Spring Cleaning
- Local community groups are leading a Spring Cleaning at more than 100 playgrounds across NYC. Find out how you can join!
- Spring Citywide Stewardship Day
- On Earth Day, volunteer with our Stewardship Team to help care for New York City's forests. Register today!
2. Los Angeles, California
- The Pacoima Wash Natural Park Cleanup officially takes its mark on April 22 at 8:30 a.m. in honor of Earth Day and the chance for participants to get rid of trash and other debris from this former vacant lot that has become both a California native plant reserve (including foliage that is drought resistant) as well as a wildlife preserve.
- LA River Clean Up
- It’s time to roll up your sleeves and show your love for the LA River – the Great LA River CleanUp is back for 2017! Join today and be part of the largest urban river cleanup in America.
3. Chicago, Illinois
- Garfield Park Conservatory
- GPCA seeks to change lives through the power of nature. We create, develop and implement programs that promote environmental responsibility and conservationism, help to build economically and socially sustainable and healthy communities, and strengthen the Conservatory's designation as an arts and cultural institution. Volunteers work with the Park District on general horticulture, maintenance, and gardening projects.
4. Houston, Texas
- Celebrating Earth Week at the Garden
- Volunteer at the Campus Community Garden and learn the basic skills needed to grow produce. We will be weeding, watering and harvesting the organic vegetables grown over the winter. Water, tools and bug repellent will be provided. Attendees are encouraged to bring a reusable bottle, long pants, close-toed shoes and a hat.ConSERVE Earth Day
- ConSERVE Earth Day
- Join the Student Conservation Association for Earth Day to give back to Houston City Parks and help restore the Sims Bayou at Milby Park. With support from American Express and Southwest Airlines, SCA is mobilizing volunteers coast to coast in celebration of Earth Day.
5. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia Environmental Film Festival at the Prince Theater
- An event that aims to inspire the public to take action and learn about the environment via panels and movie screenings. The screenings range from shorts to feature-length films that all focus on a different aspect of conservation or the environment.
- Litter Clean-up
- The City’s Zero Waste and Litter Cabinet is looking for volunteers to help us increase City recycling diversion rates! This particular project will require volunteers to engage community residents in targeted neighborhoods about a recycling bin distribution day that the City is holding.
6. Phoenix, Arizona
- 8th Annual Earth Day Phoenix
- Celebrate Earth Day with exhibitors, mini eco-classes and more. This is a zero-waste event, meaning all waste will be recyclable or compostable. There will be limited parking, so alternative modes of transportation such as light rail or biking are recommended.
- New River Trail cleanup
- Help pick up trash and debris along the New River trail system. The site for this year's cleanup is just west of Dream City Church. Pre-registered volunteers need to check in by 7 a.m. Onsite registration starts at 6:30 a.m. To volunteer, please complete the online form or contact Tonia Edmundson at 623-773-7764. Closed-toed shoes are required. Water and garbage bags will be provided. Meet at the trail entrance at Rose Garden Lane. Parking is available in the Dream City Church parking lot.
7. San Antonio, Texas
- Lake Lewisville Shoreline Cleanup
- Join Keep Little Elm Beautiful's Lake Lewisville Shoreline Cleanup on April 22nd, 2017 from 9:00am to 12:00pm!
- Lake Arlington Clean-up
- Join Keep Arlington Beautiful's KTWC cleanup event on April 22nd, 2017 from 8:00am to 12:00pm!
8. San Diego, California
- 15th Annual Creek to Bay Cleanup
- Join us on Earth Day 2017, Saturday, April 22nd, as we beautify over 100 sites in San Diego County! Last year, a record breaking 6,400 volunteers came out to our 110 sites and successfully removed 150,000 lbs. of litter. Instead of turning a blind eye to the abundance of litter found across San Diego County, our volunteers channeled their appreciation for San Diego’s environment into action to protect it.
- Earth Day Restoration Work Party
- It’s not only garbage that can ruin the environment. The past year’s heavy rains have caused latent seeds of invasive species to take root and snuff out vital native plants along the Tijuana River Estuary in Imperial Beach. Volunteers at this Saturday event will help remove harmful growth.
9. Dallas, Texas
- Hackathon designed to inspire you to use technology to solve real issues plaguing the world today. We want to provide a space to help inspire creative thinking, so you can create inspirational ideas that can be implemented on a global scale. We encourage you to come and join us to make new things!
10. San Jose, California
- Earth Day Restoration and Cleanup
- Earth Day 2017 provides an opportunity for all of us to do something meaningful for our planet by giving back to the state parks in our communities. Thousands of volunteers will be needed throughout California to assist with projects such as campfire center improvements, habitat restoration, native garden conservation, fence building, trail maintenance and beach cleanup.
- Earth Day San Jose 2017 Great American Litter Pickup
- Help us clean up litter in San José. To participate and sign up please call one of the meeting locations below. On the day of the event, register at your meeting location and receive litter cleanup supplies.* At noon, join your Council District Office for a celebration lunch at your Council District’s Event Kickoff Location. Lunch is free for volunteers.